Widows’ and Widowers’ Benefits
Notre Dame has a program of faculty benefits to aid, during the first year of widowhood, the widows and widowers of faculty members who died while still in active service of the University. The academic contract year salary is continued through the month following the month in which the death occurs. Six equal payments will then be made to each widow or widower in the following manner:
Thirty percent of the faculty member’s annual salary as of the date of death plus:
- $100 for each full year of service, provided the faculty member has worked no more than 10 full years.
- $125 for each full year of service, provided the faculty member has started the 11th year of work and has not worked more than 25 full years.
- $150 for each full year of service, provided the faculty member has started the 26th year of work and has not worked more than 50 years.
- Widows and widowers of faculty members who were employed over 50 full years will be paid one full year’s salary.
- The fund will be made available only if the widow or widower survives and to her or him alone.
- The year is to be computed from July 1 to June 30. For computations, a period of six months or less is to be computed as one-half year; a period of over six months is to be computed as one year.
- In no case will more than one full year’s salary be paid.
The University will review the circumstances of widows or widowers of retired faculty as a matter of course.